Facebook just started to make Timeline available for business pages, all pages will be switched to Timeline on March 30. There is a lot to like about it and some to dislike.
What to like:
- For a start, Timeline has a more graphics oriented interface. That will allow even small businesses to brand themselves at a much more affordable cost
- The timeline allows businesses to tell their story, from birth, a great tool to build relationships with customers and prospects. Everybody likes a good story and sharing the story of your brand or business will help forge stronger bonds with your audience, leading to more engagement and more sales.
- The cover photo is now 851px by 315pix and can easily be changed to promote new services, specials, events, you name it. A piece of advice, choose a high resolution image instead of picking a low resolution image already on your Facebook page.
- You can now “anchor” stories for up to 7 days, anchored stories will be features at the top of your feed.
- Highlight stories with a star if they are important, hides the ones that are not driving engagement.
- Show miles stones on your timeline, important events, number of fans, new stores, new campaigns, build your story
- Timeline is based on engaging and communicating with your audience
- Users will be see how many of their friends like your page and what their friends say about your business or brand
- The admin panel is more extensive and notifies you of new comments, new “like”, messages and Insights in a single view, making it easier to see what is happening on your page
What’s not to like:
- Branding is more limited than previously, Facebook wants uniformity in the interface, as a result, extensive branding options have been removed and it will be interesting to see how big brands that made extensive use of page customization will adapt.
- Custom tabs have been removed and replaced by a limited number of apps (5), that’s including the Facebook preferred apps, you will have to be very selective)
- More work and expense, the interface investment you put in your previous page is, well… gone
- It will take more time and interactions to build followers, but again, interactions are what social media is about in the first place.